The history of Tullibardine for distilling and brewing is one of the oldest in Scotland. Located in Blackford, the gateway to the Highlands. It is here in 1488 that the young King James IV of Scotland stopped by on his way to his coronation, to purchase beer from the local brewery. This is recorded as the first public purchase of beer.
As well as the easy access from the north and the south, making it a perfect location for distilling, there is als a plentiful supply of fresh, spring water from the surrounding Ochil hills, which are also well known for the gold that was mined from them. The water that reaches the distillery has taken 15 years to reach the Danny Burn, which is the spring that we take our water from.
In 1947 the brewery was converted to a distillery, and was named after the small medieval chapel close to the distillery which was built in 1446. Tullibardine mean “lookout hill” in Gaelic.
With a wide portfolio of stock ranging back as far as 1952, Tullibardine is a lovely sweet, elegant and complex malt whisky.
“We are getting to the stage where Tullibardine is now becoming one of the true great single malts of Scotland” Jim Murray’s Whisky Bible 2008.
Having been matured in first fill Bourbon barrels, this is a lovely, balanced whisky. It exhibits barley, pear drops and creamy chocolate notes, which develop on the palate with a lingering finish.